CNY Veterans Parade & Expo
The annual CNY Veterans Parade and Expo will continue to be an outpouring of gratitude and support for our soldiers and veterans. The purpose of the event is "Thanking Our Veterans" of every generation and conflict.
The one and one-half hour long parade at 12:00 noon features more than 90 veterans and military organizations from throughout Central New York and beyond. The parade is based on the old-fashioned military style parades that featured military vehicles, local military units, Veterans of Foreign War Posts and American Legions. Every branch of the armed services and every conflict since WWII are represented. Veterans who participated have expressed gratification at seeing the crowds waving flags and clapping for them along the parade route.
The Expo, held in the Center of Progress building, features displays with a special emphasis on military history, local companies, and local organizations helping present military personnel or veterans. Last year, more than 50 organizations took part in the Expo. Organizations and individuals exhibit important artifacts from the Revolutionary War, War of 1812, the Civil War, and the Vietnam War. Local groups offer ways to get involved, such as gathering goods to send to deployed troops. The VA and other organizations present information about services available to veterans of any age. There will once again be a presentation about TRI-Care for retirees and a Kids' Area, Sponsored by TOPS, that will feature activities, games, displays and even face painting.
The Expo will feature military and veterans themed kiosks, featuring many hands-on exhibits and informational displays such as:
* Children's Area: An expanded section will feature activities, game displays and even face painting and magicians
* Fort Drum and the 10th Mountain Division will have a strong presence at this event, displaying many of their troops, vehicles and information about the Army.
* A private display of Vietnam era uniforms, patches, and memorabilia
* Many other hands-on exhibits, activities and information provided by the VA Hospital, Syracuse Marine Parents, Gillette Road Military Support Group, Syracuse Cadet Squadron of the Civil Air Patrol, local colleges, other branches of the military and veterans organizations.
* A ceremony to honor veterans